The festival of lights, Deepavali, is not celebrated only in India, but draws interest from around the world. Singapore, in particular, observes the festival with enthusiasm by ushering in the festive spirit with a host of activities. During this time, the country’s Little India precinct comes to life with a stunning display of lights and a line-up of events to add to the festive fervour. The neighbourhood will be lit with impressive installations, Instagram-worthy decorations and bright festive lights that will awe spectators.
This year’s Festival of Lights will see a line-up of exciting programmes and activities, both on-ground and virtual:
- The precinct of Little India, especially Serangoon Road will see three Indian epic characters walking down the streets and interacting with people
- LISHA will be collaborating with SMRT Corporation Ltd. to display the Deepavali light-up designs on Singapore’s public trains and buses
- Moreover, there will be twelve different types of sweet desserts from twelve different Indian ethnicities, whose recipe will be demonstrated and uploaded on social media.
- To foster the message of family bonding there will also be a family event called Deepavali Game Challenge that will allow for a delightful celebration for families and loved ones
- Singapore will also be getting star chefs from popular Indian restaurants that have been accredited with Star Rating to do a live demo of cooking an exclusive Deepavali festive dish
- The event will also have a saree queen contest, inviting ladies to drape in saree and send in their video presentations via Facebook; prizes will be awarded to the winners
- To add more colour and vibrancy to the Deepavali festive mood, we will be holding two free cultural shows consisting of songs and dances
- To educate the tourists and the general public on Indian tradition as well as the Deepavali there will be a competitive style of treasure hunt, with 10 stations spread across the vicinity of Little India
Kicking off the celebrations will be the annual street light-up in Little India starting from 16th September 2022 to 13th November 2022. Travellers can also look forward to exciting events such as cultural shows, a Tamil rap competition, treasure hunts and challenges in Little India.